Greek-Style Oven Braised Chicken Meatballs
Chicken meatballs braised in a lemon butter sauce and served garnished with feta cheese and kalamata olives.
1 pound ground chicken
3 tablespoons cooked long-grain rice
2 tablespoons minced dill
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large egg
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
1 lemon, zest grated, juice squeezed
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
3 teaspoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- To make the meatballs, knead all ingredients together with your hands and then form into walnut size balls (mixture will be soft). Refrigerate meatballs while preparing the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In an oven-proof saucepan, warm butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, lemon zest and juice. Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Gently put the meatballs into the sauce and cover the pan. Remove to oven and bake for 40 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with feta, olives and parsley to serve.
- Serve over orzo pasta or rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.