Grilled Orange Chicken Skewers with
Cranberry Plum Sauce
Grilling doesn't necessarily end when the leaves on trees begin to turn the colors of autumn. These orange-flavored chicken kabobs served with cranberry plum sauce are ideal fare to serve during both the fall and winter seasons.
6 chicken thighs, skinned and boned
24 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
1 red bell pepper, cubed
1 green bell pepper, cubed
1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 naval orange, cut into half slices
Cranberry Plum Sauce:
1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup plum preserves
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cut each chicken thigh into 12 small pieces.
- On a bamboo skewer, lace 3 pieces of chicken alternately with 1 piece green bell pepper and 1 piece red bell pepper. Set aside.
- In large shallow baking dish, combine all remaining ingredients except the orange to make marinade. Dip chicken skewers in mixture to coat; arrange skewers in baking dish, cover and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- At cooking time, prepare Cranberry Plum Sauce; keep warm until needed.
- For Cranberry Plum Sauce: In medium saucepan, mix all ingredients. Whisk mixture over medium heat until well-blended and hot. Pour into small serving bowl. Serve warm with chicken.
- Drain chicken. Place skewers over hot charcoals, grilling for 3 to 5 minutes; turn once or until chicken is done, about 2 minutes on each side. (Or, broil skewers for 4 minutes, turning skewers once to cook about 2 minutes on each side.)
- Arrange on serving platter around bowl of Cranberry Plum Sauce. Garnish with orange slices.
Makes 6 servings or 24 appetizer servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.