Havarti Curried Chicken Cornbread
This hearty Eastern-style cornbread takes center stage as the entrée—not one of the side attractions. It's loaded with chicken, green onions, coconut, almonds and Havarti cheese and is served topped with a dollop of mango chutney.
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, including greens
1 tablespoon finely grated gingerroot
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
Salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup cornbread mix
2 large eggs
1 cup milk or buttermilk
2 to 3 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
Purchased mango chutney for accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chicken, green onions, gingerroot, and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir often. Remove the pan from the heat. Season to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornbread mix, eggs, and buttermilk. Stir in the curry, coconut, and almonds. Add the chicken mixture and the cheese. Pour into a well-buttered 10-inch cast-iron skillet or cake pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool the cornbread 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
- Top with a dollop of mango chutney.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.