Healthful Chicken Casserole
Garlic-seasoned chicken pieces are baked atop a bed of sliced mushrooms and garlicky spinach.
1 broiler-fryer chicken, cooked, skinned, chopped (about 4 cups)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoons garlic powder - divided use
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- Cook spinach according to package directions.
- Mix onions with spinach.
- Arrange spinach mixture in bottom of 1 1/2 quart baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic powder.
- Arrange mushrooms on spinach and drizzle with melted butter.
- Place chicken on mushrooms; season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic powder. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 202 Protein: 26 g Carbohydrates: 4 g Total Fat: 9.3g Saturated Fat: 3.3 g Cholesterol: 74 mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.