Hungarian sweet and sour chicken served over egg noodles.
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut in parts
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
Hot egg noodles for accompaniment
- Remove yogurt from refrigerator.
- In skillet, place oil and heat to medium high temperature. Place chicken in pan and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Add onion and cook about 5 minutes more.
- Push chicken and onion aside and drain oil from pan, scraping bottom to release any browned bits.
- Arrange chicken evenly in pan and sprinkle with caraway seed, garlic salt, dill weed, paprika and pepper; pour wine over all. Cover and reduce temperature to low. Cook about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Stir yogurt into pan juices and heat slowly about 5 minutes.
- Serve with hot egg noodles.
Makes 4 servings.
Sweet and Sour Sauce: In small saucepan, mix together 3/4 cup orange juice, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon oriental sesame oil. Bring to a boil over medium heat. In small bowl, mix until smooth, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Add to saucepan and cook until mixture has slightly thickened. Serve warm.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.