Indonesian Spiced Chicken
Serve this delicious, aromatic Indonesian-style spiced chicken with jasmine rice.
4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
4 chicken thighs, skin removed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup tamarind nectar
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In blender container, place shallots, garlic, tamarind nectar, lemon juice and salt; blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- In non-stick skillet over medium heat, place coriander, pepper, cumin, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and turmeric; cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add oil and stir to mix well with spices. Add chicken, turning to coat each piece with oil-spice mixture. Add ginger and cook about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add blender mixture, scraping pan to release pan drippings.
- Stir in coconut milk and continue to cook, uncovered, over medium heat, 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken, reduce heat to low and cook about 20 minutes more or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Serve with rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 283 calories; 27.5 g protein; 15.6 g total fat; 8.2 g saturated fat; 8.6 g carbohydrates; 104 mg cholesterol; 414 mg sodium.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.