Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Jerking is actually a method of cooking in Jamaica, chicken is marinated in a jerk seasoning and then roasted in a pit.
1 scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero pepper)
4 scallions, chopped
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons fresh ginger
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup pineapple or orange juice
2 teaspoons allspice
Thyme to taste
Tumeric to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces
- In a food processor combine scotch bonnet, scallions, garlic, ginger, thyme, tumeric, allspice, ketchup, juice from 2 limes, and pineapple or orange juice. Blend until ingredients are well combined, about 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the chicken with the marinate then cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Grill chicken for about 20 to 30 minutes or until juices run clear when meat is pierced with a knife.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.