Light Chicken Stroganoff
This tempting dish is revised from an old favorite containing a generous measure of butter and sour cream. Far lower in fat than the original, but every bit as rich in flavor.
1/2 cup (about 1 1/8 ounces) dried tomatoes
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wide strips
Ground white pepper
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (preferably canola)
1 medium-size onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
4 teaspoons cornstarch blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
8 ounces dry noodles
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons dry sherry
Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a small bowl, soak tomatoes in boiling water to cover until very soft, about 30 minutes. Drain well, cut into strips, and set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with white pepper; dust with flour and shake off excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wide nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, about half at a time, and cook, lifting and turning often, until lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- When all chicken has been cooked, heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in pan. Add onion, mushrooms, ginger, and thyme; cook stirring often, until onion is soft and mushroom are lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir cornstarch mixture and sugar into yogurt and set aside. Also, in a 5 to 6-quart pan, cook noodles in about 3-quarts boiling water until al dente (firm to the bite), about 7 to 9 minutes; or cook according to package directions. Drain, then arrange around edge of a deep platter; keep warm.
- Stir garlic into mushroom mixture and cook for 1 minute. Then stir in broth, wine and sherry; bring to a boil, stirring. Add tomatoes, chicken and yogurt mixture; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, stirring often, until sauce is thickened. Spoon chicken mixture into center of platter and sprinkle with parsley.
Makes 4 servings.