Light 'n' Lean Chicken Breasts
Sautéed chicken breasts served with a delectable low-fat, creamy white wine pan sauce.
4 broiler-fryer chicken breast halves, skinned
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons arrowroot (cornstarch)
1 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with reduced-calorie vegetable cooking spray. Heat to medium temperature; add chicken and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook, turning, about 20 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Reduce temperature to low, add garlic halves and continue cooking until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease, about 10 minutes more. Remove chicken to warm plate, leaving garlic in pan.
- Add chicken broth and wine. Over high temperature, bring to a boil about 5 minutes; reduce temperature to low.
- Into skim milk, stir arrowroot and slowly add mixture to pan liquids. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and sprinkle with chives, spooning sauce over chicken. Simmer to heat chicken through, about 5 minutes more.
- Serve over rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.