Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
Say hello to an updated culinary classic! A buttermilk biscuit crust, shredded rotisserie chicken and a savory vegetable filling make for a heart-warming supper.
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 celery ribs, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Fine sea salt
1/4 cup dry white wine or sherry (optional)
3 cups water
2 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Low-fat 2% Milk
1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 4 cups)*
1 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- For Filling: Combine carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, oil and ½ teaspoon salt in a large Dutch oven or saucepan. Cover; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in wine; cook for 1 minute or until almost evaporated. Stir in water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk cornstarch and evaporated milk together; stir into sauce. Cook for about 1 minute or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in chicken, peas and parsley. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Divide mixture between eight 8-ounce ramekins or spoon into 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- For Biscuits: Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk and melted butter together. Gently stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined and no pockets of flour remain.
- Drop dough into equal mounds over ramekins, spreading out slightly. Place ramekins on baking sheet. If using 13x9x2-inch baking dish, drop dough into 8 mounds a few inches apart over hot filling.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the biscuits are golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Or substitute with leftover turkey.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 370 Calories from Fat: 110 Total Fat: 12 g Saturated Fat: 6 g Cholesterol: 85 mg Sodium: 880 mg Carbohydrates: 36 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Sugars: 9 g Protein: 28 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.