Oven-Fried Basil Parmesan Chicken
Baked breaded chicken breasts, stuffed with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and a slice of cooked pancetta or bacon.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
8 basil sprigs
4 slices fresh mozzarella
4 slices cooked pancetta or bacon
2 egg whites
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts, finely chopped (optional)
Lemon wedges for accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Set a rack on a sheet pan and spray it with olive oil spray.
- Cut through the thick side of each chicken breast to create a pocket. Into each pocket press two basil sprigs, a slice of mozzarella and a slice of pancetta or bacon (folded in half to fit if necessary).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the crumb mixture.
- In another bowl, lightly beat egg whites. Add garlic, salt and pepper.
- Dip stuffed chicken breasts into egg white mixture; then press into crumb mixture, coating thoroughly. (At this point, the breasts may be placed on a cookie tray and frozen until almost solid; wrap in aluminum foil to store.)
- Set the chicken on the rack; bake for 25 minutes until the crumbs are golden brown and chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve immediately, accompanied with fresh lemon wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.