Peppercorn Chicken Medallions
This terrific recipe for Peppercorn Chicken Medallions was submitted by Kathleen Boulanger of Williston, Vermont.
Soy and Sesame Marinade (recipe follows)
3 whole skinless, boneless broiler-fryer chicken breasts
12 scallions, white and 1.inch of green tops included
1/2 cup canned chicken broth
2 tablespoons mixture coarsely crushed black, white, green, Jamaican and Szechuan peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Red pepper rings
- Prepare marinade (see recipe below). Set aside.
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; gently pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place 4 scallions lengthwise over each chicken breast. Roll lengthwise and tie with kitchen string.
- In small shallow dish, place chicken rolls; brush with marinade and place in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- In small saucepan, place chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low temperature and simmer about 5 minutes or until broth has reduced to 1/4 cup; set aside and keep warm.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Pat peppercorn mixture on chicken, coating well. Sprinkle with salt.
- In medium oven-proof skillet, place butter and vegetable oil and heat over medium high temperature until butter melts. Add chicken rolls and cook, turning, 8 minutes. Transfer skillet to 375°F (190°C) oven; cook about 10 minutes, turning chicken once.
- Remove chicken to cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Slice chicken into medallions and arrange in circle on medium platter lined with Belgium endive. Spoon chicken broth over medallions. Cut one slit in pepper rings and circle medallions.
Makes 4 servings.
Soy and Sesame Marinade: In small dish, mix together 1/4 cup lite soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 garlic clove (minced), 1 teaspoon minced ginger and 1/2 teaspoon minced parsley leaves.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.