Pesto Pan-Fried Chicken
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
1 package (about 1 pound) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/3 cup prepared pesto sauce
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
Lemon slices for garnish (optional)
Fresh basil sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness of about 1/4-inch.
- Coat chicken with pesto, then dip in flour, then dip in egg mixture and lastly, dip in seasoned bread crumbs combined with Parmesan cheese.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken and cook about 2 minutes on each side, until coating is golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove to a baking sheet lined with paper towels and keep warm in oven until all chicken is cooked. Add more oil to the skillet as needed during frying. Garnish with lemon slices and basil.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: If using cutlets, skip step 2.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.