Pesto Stuffed Chicken Legs
This terrific recipe for Pesto Stuffed Chicken Legs was submitted by Steven Craig.
3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 cups fresh basil
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 tablespoons butter - divided use
8 chicken legs (drumstick-thigh attached)
Mustard Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
Basil sprigs for garnish (optional)
Cherry tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- In blender container, place mushrooms, basil, garlic, ginger and 2 tablespoons of the butter and blend to smooth paste consistency.
- Starting at thigh end, loosen top skin of chicken to create small pouch over thigh portion of leg. Fill pouch with pesto and pull skin back to original position. (To prevent skin from shrinking when cooking, pierce skin with tip of knife between pouch and leg bone.)
- In baking pan with roasting rack, place chicken on rack and brush lightly with remaining l tablespoon butter, softened.
- Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven about 35 minutes or until brown and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Brush lightly with Mustard Dipping Sauce.
- To serve, line tray with basil sprigs, chicken legs on top, stuffing side up. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, if desired. Pass remaining Mustard Dipping Sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Mustard Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, place 4 teaspoons dry mustard, 6 tablespoons lite soy sauce, 4 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons sesame oil and l teaspoon sugar; whisk to combine. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.