Rice with Chicken and Taro Root
Treat your family to a taste of the Orient with this hearty chicken and rice dish with taro root and mushrooms.
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch or chestnut powder
3 1/2 teaspoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce - divided use
4 1/2 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon - divided use
2 teaspoons granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable or cooking oil
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon MAGGI TASTE OF ASIA Cooking Soy Sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled, diced taro root
1/2 cup dried shrimp, soaked in hot water until soft and diced
4 cups water
3 cups rice
4 to 5 dried shiitake or brown mushrooms, soaked in hot water until soft
- Combine chicken, cornstarch, 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning sauce, 1 teaspoon bouillon, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt in medium bowl. Set aside to marinate.
- Combine 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 2 teaspoons seasoning sauce, remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, dark soy sauce and cooking soy sauce in small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add taro root; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thin fried skin forms. Remove from pan. Add shrimp meat; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Remove from pan.
- Combine water, rice and remaining 3 1/2 teaspoons bouillon in rice cooker. Turn rice cooker on. Once the water has started boiling, add taro root and shrimp; cover. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through and water has evaporated.
- Cover cooked rice mixture with chicken and mushrooms; cover. Cook for 15 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Pour sauce over top.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 380 Calories from Fat: 60 Total Fat: 7 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 35 mg Sodium: 1030 mg Carbohydrates: 61 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 17 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.