Ruby Chicken Thighs
This terrific recipe for Ruby Chicken Thighs was submitted by Diana Woodland of Chicago, Illinois.
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 chicken thighs
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
3 tablespoons red wine
1 red pear, cored and sliced
Fresh sage sprigs for garnish (optional)
Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper for garnish (optional)
- In large nonstick skillet, place oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 12 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon oil from skillet. Add onion and sauté about 3 minutes or until transparent. Add garlic, sage and thyme, stirring. Add water, vinegar and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low temperature. Return chicken to skillet, turning to coat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add pear slices and cook about 5 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Remove chicken to serving dish and top with pears.
- Skim excess oil from skillet liquid and pour 1 tablespoon of the liquid over each chicken thigh. Garnish with sage sprigs, thyme sprigs and freshly ground pepper, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.