Savory Kale Stuffed Chicken
This terrific recipe for Savory Kale Stuffed Chicken was submitted by Barbara Gulino of Portland, Maine.
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
4 cups firmly packed kale leaves, ribs removed
1 pound low fat ricotta cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 chicken breast halves, bone-in, with skin
- In food processor, place onion and process with on-and-off control until onion is chopped.
- In medium skillet, place oil and heat to medium temperature. Add garlic and onion; sauté about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and set aside.
- In large sauce pan, place 2 cups water and a steamer basket. Cover and bring water to a boil; add kale and steam over high heat about 6 minutes or until kale is cooked through. Remove kale and place in food processor. Process with on and off control until finely chopped. Gather into a ball and gently press out excess water.
- In large bowl, mix together onion and garlic mixture, kale, ricotta, egg, parsley, salt, basil and pepper.
- Gently loosen skin from one side of breast to form a pocket. Stuff 1/3 cup of kale mixture into pocket of each breast. Tuck skin and meat under breast to form dome shape.
- Place chicken in buttered glass baking dish.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Remove from oven and rest about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.