Skillet Ground Chicken and Eggplant
Quick and easy Italian-style skillet supper made with ground chicken, onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, eggplant and mozzarella cheese.
1 pound ground chicken
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup water
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 eggplant (1 pound), cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat 10-inch skillet over medium high temperature. Add chicken, onion and green pepper, stirring and cooking until chicken is brown and onion is clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Sprinkle with flour; slowly stir in water, scraping pan drippings into mixture.
- Add tomato sauce and stir well.
- On eggplant slices, sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; arrange eggplant over ground chicken mixture. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover until melted, about 2 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.