Slow Cooked Chicken with Asiago Creamy Grits
This terrific recipe for Slow Cooked Chicken with Asiago Creamy Grits was created by Chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
3 tablespoons butter - divided use
6 chicken legs, cut into leg and thigh
4 stalks celery
1 bunch thyme
4 bay leaves
1 pound wild mushrooms (morels, porcinis, creminis or shiitakes)
1 tablespoon dried porcini, soaked in warm water
3 cups chicken stock
Asiago Creamy Grits (recipe follows)
- In large cast iron skillet, place 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add chicken and sear until golden brown; remove to rack while cooking vegetables.
- Drain off excess oil, add remaining tablespoon butter, carrots, celery, onions, leeks, shallots, thyme and bay leaves. Sauté over medium heat about l0 minutes.
- Add dried mushrooms, then chicken stock and chicken; bring to a boil. Cover with foil and place in 300°F (150°C) oven for 1 1/2 hours. (While chicken is cooking, prepare grits.)
- Lift out chicken and strain liquid. Skim sauce, reduce by 1/4 and reserve.
- In large individual bowl, place l large scoop grits; top with chicken leg and thigh. Ladle on reserved mushroom broth and sautéed mushrooms. Garnish with fresh herbs and grated asiago cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Asiago Creamy Grits: In large saucepan, place 2 cups water, 1 cup chicken stock, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Bring to a boil and whisk in 1 cup stone ground grits. Cook on low 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add 1 cup heavy cream and l cup grated asiago cheese. Cover until ready to serve.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.