Stuffed Chicken Breasts Sardou
An elegant and delicious (and surprisingly easy) entrée that tastes like it's loaded with fat and calories—but it's not.
8 (4-ounce) chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Mock Mustard-Hollandaise Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Place each piece of chicken between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin; set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and mushrooms; sauté until tender. Remove from heat.
- Add spinach, artichokes, sherry, thyme and pepper to mushroom mixture; mixing well. Spread 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon spinach mixture over each chicken breast; roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting with the short side. Place on the end of a 12 x 8-inch piece of heavy-duty plastic wrap. Roll up and secure ends tightly with string.
- Bring water to boil in a large Dutch oven. Drop chicken rolls into boiling water; cover, reduce heat and simmer 18 minutes or until done. Remove strings and plastic wrap.
- For Mock Mustard-Hollandaise Sauce: Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Remove mushrooms from heat, and set aside.
- Combine egg yolk and 1/4 cup yogurt in a small sauce pan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup yogurt, salt and mustard. Add mushrooms; stir well. Cook until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Do not boil. Makes 3/4 cup.
- Ton Serve: Place chicken on serving plate. Slice crosswise into 5 pieces, and spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.