Summer Italian Stuffed Chicken
This terrific recipe for Summer Italian Stuffed Chicken was submitted by Melissa Mathie of Morrice, Michigan.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup, plus 1/3 cup bottled oil-vinegar dressing
1 small head radicchio, tom into bite-size pieces
1 small bunch watercress, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 plum tomatoes thinly sliced
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg
2/3 Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
Tomato rosettes for garnish (optional)
- With meat mallet or similar meat flattening utensil, pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness; place in large baking pan. Add 1/2 cup of the oil-vinegar dressing; toss to mix.
- Arrange radicchio mixture on platter; refrigerate.
- Remove chicken from dressing; drain. Cut each chicken breast in halve crosswise. Place an even amount of basil and tomato on each of the 4 pieces of chicken; top each piece with remaining half of breast. With texture side of mallet, pound edges together to seal.
- In shallow dish, beat water and egg.
- On wax paper, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip chicken, one piece at a time, in egg mixture and then in bread crumb mixture.
- In large skillet, place oil, heat over medium-high temperature. Add chicken and cook about 10 minutes or until brown and fork can be easily inserted with ease.
- Arrange chicken on radicchio mixture. Garnish with tomato rosettes, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.