Surprise Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Tangy Sauce
A mixture of dried apricots, raisins, mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach make up the surprise filling.
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced
1/4 cup raisins
6 tablespoons butter
6 mushrooms, chopped
1 cup chopped, seeded, peeled tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) package ready-to-use fresh spinach
6 boneless chicken breast halves with skin
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- For Sauce: Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions; sauté until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add sugar. Sauté until onion is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add vinegar; boil 2 minutes. Add both broths; boil until liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 25 minutes.
- For Chicken: Soak dried fruit in hot water to cover for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and sauté until almost all liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes. Stir in fruit and sauté 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Steam spinach until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Cool.
- Using sharp knife, cut horizontal slit 3/4 of the way through each chicken breast. Open and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place thin layer of spinach over half of each breast. Top spinach with 2 tablespoons fruit mixture. Close breasts over filling. Tie with kitchen string.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; brown in skillet, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Bring sauce to simmer. Remove from heat. Gradually add 4 tablespoons butter, whisking just until melted.
- Remove string from chicken. Cut each breast crosswise into 5 slices. Serve with the sauce.
Makes 6 servings.