Sweet and Sour Chicken
This terrific recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken was submitted by Mrs. Cecil L. Smith of Westwood, Massachusetts.
2 (3-pound) broiler-fryers, cut up
1 (10-ounce) jar apricot preserves
1 (8-ounce) bottle Russian salad dressing
1 envelope onion-soup mix
2 cups regular long-grain rice
2 tablespoons minced parsley
- About 1 1/2 hours before serving: Arrange chicken pieces, skin-side up, in one layer in large open roasting pan.
- In medium bowl, mix apricot preserves, Russian dressing and onion-soup mix; pour salad dressing sauce over chicken pieces.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 1 1/4 hours or until chicken is fork tender, basting with sauce in pan occasionally during baking.
- While chicken is baking, prepare rice as label directs. Keep warm.
- To serve, arrange chicken on warm platter. Skim fat from sauce in pan. Stir parsley into cooked rice. Serve chicken with sauce and rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.