Teens' Pizza Chicken
Young, old, teens and tweens will love this simple pizza-flavored baked chicken dish.
5 broiler-fryer chicken quarters
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (15.08-ounce) jar pizza sauce
1/4 cup sour cream
1 (4-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Line a shallow baking pan with foil and spray foil with vegetable cooking spray. (Pan should be large enough for all pieces of chicken to fit in one layer.) Arrange chicken in the pan and sprinkle it with garlic salt and pepper.
- Set oven temperature control at "broil" (450°F | 230°C) and arrange oven rack so chicken is about 6 inches from heat.
- Place chicken in oven and broil about 15 minutes or until it is very brown on skin side (don't turn the chicken over).
- While chicken is broiling, in a medium bowl place pizza sauce, sour cream, mushrooms and oregano; stir to mix together well.
- When chicken is brown, remove from oven and change temperature setting to "bake" (350°F | 175°C.).
- Pour sauce over chicken and return to oven for about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Remove chicken from oven and sprinkle cheese over each piece. Return to oven for about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.