Tortilla-Pecan Crusted Chicken
This terrific recipe for Tortilla-Pecan Crusted Chicken was submitted by Frances Andrews of Wilson, North Carolina.
8 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
1 cup boiling water
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Southwestern Paste (recipe follows)
3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, sliced in thin strips
1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 tablespoon slightly beaten egg white
2 red jalapeño peppers, cut in rings
- In small bowl, place sun-dried tomatoes. Add water and soak about 30 minutes or until soft; drain, pat dry and slice.
- On thicker side of each chicken breast half, cut a horizontal pocket, being careful not to cut through opposite side. Brush inside of pockets with 1 tablespoon of Southwestern Paste. Stuff each breast half with equal portions of sun dried tomatoes and cheese; press edges firmly to seal. Brush remaining Southwestern Paste on both sides of chicken.
- In large shallow dish, place tortilla chips, pecans and egg white; stir to mix well. Add chicken to crumb mixture, pressing to adhere coating.
- Arrange chicken on nonstick jelly roll pan and place in 400°F (205°C) oven for about 25 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease.
- Line serving dish with lettuce leaves. Arrange chicken on lettuce and top with jalapeño pepper rings.
Makes 4 servings.
Southwestern Paste: In small bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons hot honey mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cilantro, 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 small cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.