This terrific recipe for Tropical Chicken was submitted by Thomas Goodman of Harrison, Maine.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup flaked coconut, firmly packed
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sweet orange marmalade
Peeled and sliced kiwi for garnish (optional)
Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Place chicken between two pieces of wax paper and gently pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In small bowl, place egg, water, salt and pepper; stir to mix well.
- In shallow dish, place coconut.
- Dredge chicken, first in egg mixture, then in coconut, pressing to coat well.
- In large nonstick skillet, place olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, about l0 minutes or until brown and fork can be inserted with ease. Remove chicken to serving platter and keep warm.
- In small dish, place cornstarch. Add orange juice and stir to mix well.
- In small saucepan, place marmalade. Stir in orange juice mixture and cook over low heat, stirring, to thicken but do not boil.
- Spoon orange sauce over chicken. Garnish with kiwi slices and parsley sprigs, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.