True Indian Chicken Curry
This terrific recipe for True Indian Chicken Curry was submitted by Dara Tarolli of Worthington, Ohio.
Marinade (recipe follows)
8 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups cooked rice
Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)
Sliced almonds for garnish (optional)
- Place Marinade in large glass dish and add chicken, turning to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from marinade (do not scrape off marinade).
- In large skillet, place oil and heat to medium high temperature. Add onions and sauté slowly, about 5 minutes. Lower temperature to medium and continue to cook 10 minutes more or until onions are caramelized and golden brown.
- Add chicken, several pieces at a time, and cook, turning, about 8 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Add water and salt. Reduce heat to low temperature, cover and simmer 35 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- To serve, place rice on dish, arrange chicken and sauce on top. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and slivered almonds, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Marinade: In medium bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon ground almonds and 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.