This terrific recipe for Vichyssoise Chicken was submitted by Helen Vavrek of Hammond, Indiana.
1 1/2 teaspoons salt - divided use
1 1/8 teaspoons ground black pepper - divided use
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, cut in parts
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3/4 cup sliced green onion, white and green parts included
1/2 cup consommé
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup sour cream
Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
Tomato slices for garnish (optional)
- In plastic bag, mix together 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the pepper, paprika and flour. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In large skillet, place butter and melt over medium heat; add olive oil. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Pour off excess oil and discard; push chicken to center of skillet and arrange potatoes in circle around chicken. Sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Arrange onion over chicken and potatoes; add consommé and wine. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease and potatoes are tender.
- Remove cover and spoon sour cream over chicken and potatoes; cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or until mixture is heated through.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs and tomato slices, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.