Western Shepherd's Pie
Recipe by Patti Londre of WorthTheWhisk.com.
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 (15.5-ounce) can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (11-ounce) can corn, drained
1 1/2 cups medium hot green salsa - divided use
1 (4.5-ounce) diced green chiles
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 large Idaho® Russet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
- Place chopped onion on the bottom of a 12-cup or larger CrockPot®. Add chicken thighs, beans and corn.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup salsa, chiles, garlic and cumin. Pour over top. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces to a plate and using two forks, pull the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in cilantro.
- Peel potatoes, quarter, and place in a medium pan, add salt, cover with water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook potatoes until fork-soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and keep in pan.
- At this point, move 1 oven rack to 6-inches from broiler, and the other to the bottom rung. Turn broiler to high. Place a 3 quart casserole dish on the bottom rack to heat up while you prepare the potatoes.
- To the drained potatoes in the pot, add sour cream and remaining 1/2 cup salsa. Using a measuring cup or soup ladle, scoop a half-cup of liquid from the chili, add to potatoes and mash quickly with an electric beater. Continue to add chili liquid to the potatoes a little at a time until whipped creamy. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Carefully remove hot casserole dish from oven, scoop the chili into the hot dish, top with mashed potatoes and use a fork to spread the potatoes to seal to the edge, then place about under the broiler for at least 5 minutes, watching carefully to not over-brown. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.