Yam Chicken with Wild Pecan Rice
This terrific recipe for Yam Chicken with Wild Pecan Rice was submitted by Charlotte Granville-Haberern of Silver Lake, New Hampshire.
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 chicken thighs, skinned
1 large (about 8 ounces) yam, peeled and coarsely shredded
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons sweet orange marmalade
1/2 cup melted butter - divided use
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1 (7-ounce) package Wild Pecan Rice, prepared according to package directions
- Line 9 x 12 baking dish with foil and spread with olive oil. Add chicken, bone side down.
- In medium bowl, place shredded yam and cover with ice water. Let stand 5 minutes, drain and pat dry.
- In same bowl, add, stirring to mix, yam, ginger, coconut, pecans and marmalade.
- Divide yam mixture evenly and form a coating around each chicken thigh.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the butter and add to cooked rice. Brush remaining butter over yam-coated chicken and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in 400°F (205°C) oven about 35 minutes or until potato crust is golden and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve over Wild Pecan Rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.