Delicate almond Madeleines, also known as French tea cakes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons almond oil
2 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup ground blanched almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and oil at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale; fold into the butter mixture; stir the flour mixture.
- In another bowl beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Gently fold ground almonds into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into buttered and floured 3-inch madeleine molds (if using 1 mold, let cool between batches).
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from molds and transfer to wire racks to cool, flat side down.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.