Amaretto Apricot Chews
Chewy Amaretto-flavored oatmeal cookies, studded with chopped almonds and dried apricots, and drizzled with an Amaretto icing.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons Amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and 1 tablespoon Amaretto and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Fold in oats, apricots and almonds until blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine the powdered sugar and 3 to 4 tablespoons Amaretto until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cookies. Allow glaze to set before storing.
Makes about 7 dozen cookies.