Amaretto Almond Cookies
Try these popular Italian cookies at home. Your guests won't believe you made them yourself. (Hint: the Italian plural is amaretti.) They're wonderful dunked in hot coffee or served alongside a custard or mousse.
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons molasses
2 large eggs
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
1 cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and molasses.
- Add eggs, almonds, lemon peel and almond extract; mix well.
- Stir in amaretto liqueur alternately with whole wheat flour.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.