These light-as-air, licorice-scented cookies are piped onto baking sheets and allowed to stand overnight to dry before baking.
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons anise seed
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Beat powdered sugar, egg yolks and salt in a large bowl until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until very stiff; fold into sugar mixture.
- In another bowl combine flour, anise seed and baking powder. Fold into creamed mixture quickly but thoroughly.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain nozzle with cookie dough. Pipe small rounds onto ungreased baking sheets. Let stand overnight to dry.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and bake cookies 20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.