Sunflower seeds, oatmeal, apples, raisins and dates all contribute to the wonderful texture of these fruit-packed cookies.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
2 apples, cored and minced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease baking sheet; set aside.
- Stir together flour, sunflower seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar with shortening until creamy. Beat in eggs until well blended. Stir in flour mixture, then oatmeal, apples, raisins and dates.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.
Makes 48 cookies.