Apple Oatmeal Spice Cookies
Wholesome oatmeal spice cookies made with applesauce and studded with mixed dried fruit and nuts.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup applesauce
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick or old fashioned oats
1 cup diced dried mixed fruit or raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat sugars and butter until well blended. Add applesauce, egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir in flour mixture; mix well. Stir in oats, dried fruit and nuts, if desired; mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.