Apricot and Ginger Biscotti
Try these apricot and ginger biscotti with a cup of espresso or café au lait.
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup apricot preserves
1 cup finely chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly grease and flour a baking sheet.
- In a bowl soak apricots in boiling hot water to cover 5 minutes. Drain apricots well and pat them dry with paper towels. Finely chop apricots.
- In another bowl lightly whisk together eggs and transfer 1 teaspoon egg to a small bowl. Whisk water into the 1 teaspoon egg and reserve for egg wash.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer blend flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add remaining egg and vanilla and beat until a dough forms (dough will be sticky). Stir in apricots and ginger.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 6 times. Working on baking sheet, with floured hands form dough into a 6 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch rectangle. Brush rectangle with some reserved egg wash and bake in middle of oven 30 minutes. Cool rectangle on baking sheet on a rack 10 minutes. Loosen rectangle from baking sheet with a metal spatula and carefully transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut rectangle crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange biscotti, cut side down, on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes on each side, or until pale golden. Transfer biscotti to rack and cool. Store in airtight container.
Makes about 12 biscotti.