Aunt Helen's Filled Cookies
It is a delicious cookie filled with almonds and white chocolate chips. This makes a great treat on a dessert table. Recipe was created by Dolores Valente, North Arlington, NJ.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 large egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12 1/2-ounce) can (1 cup) almond cake and pastry filling - divided use
2 cups (12 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels - divided use
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped - divided use
Sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease baking sheet.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg, milk and vanilla extract in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir with fork just until moistened. Form a ball with dough; divide dough in half. Cover; refrigerate for about 1 hour or until dough becomes easy to handle.
- Roll each half of dough on floured surface to 12 x 6-inch rectangle. Spread each rectangle with half of pastry filling to within 1-inch of edge. Top each filling with 1 cup morsels and half the nuts. Brush edges of each rectangle with water. Bring two long sides of each rectangle together over filling; seal seams and ends of each rectangle. Carefully transfer each rectangle, seam side down, with a pastry cloth or long metal spatula to prepared baking sheet about 3 inches apart.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut each loaf into eighteen 1/2 inch-thick slices.
Makes 36 (3 dozen) cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe): Calories: 150 Calories from Fat: 70 Total Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol: 15 mg Sodium: 50 mg Carbohydrates: 20 g Dietary Fiber: .5 g Sugars: 13 g Protein: 2 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.