Basic Drop Cookies
This is the blank canvas from which all other drop cookies are created. Try different extracts, decorate them any which way, or mix in some nuts—you are limited only by your imagination.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter and margarine, softened
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (or use 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup light brown sugar)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional Additions: Chocolate chips, toffee bits, nuts, raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl cream shortening and butter until well blended. Add 1 cup flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups flour until just mixed.
- If using, stir in 1 to 2 cups optional additons. Be creative, mix and match your favorites.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute before transferring to wire racks.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.