Benne Wafer Sandwich Cookies
Wrap and Roll—Stack flat, frosting-free cookies like these by the dozen and wrap them in cellophane. Then, roll a piece of cardboard or construction paper around the outside of the cookies and fasten it closed with tape, ribbon or other decorative wrappings.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sesame seeds, lightly toasted*
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (6 ounces) dark, semisweet or milk chocolate, chopped
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Add sesame seeds, brown sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract; mix until blended.
- Shape dough into dime-sized balls, place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets (cookies will spread).
- Bake 4 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool cookies directly on baking sheet until set (about 3 minutes). Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- For Filling: Place chocolate in medium microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 seconds on high, stir and continue to microwave in 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring after each until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spread 1 teaspoon chocolate between two cookies; allow chocolate to set.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature, separating layers with parchment paper, for up to 5 days.
Makes 3 dozen sandwich cookies.
*To toast sesame seeds: Place the sesame seeds on an ungreased baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, watching closely, until lightly browned.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.