Biscotti with Raisins and Dried Cherries
Recipe courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/2 cup California natural raisins, chopped
1/2 cup California golden raisins, chopped
1/4 cup brandy, cognac, rum or orange juice
1 1/2 cups basic gluten free baking mix
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 egg white, for glazing
- Measure cherries, raisins and brandy into a bowl. Cover and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Mix baking mix, sugar, rice flour, almond flour, zest, soda, baking powder, nutmeg, xanthan gum and salt together.
- In small bowl, whisk 2 egg whites and whole egg until frothy. Stir into dry ingredients along with undrained fruits; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease or line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn dough onto counter dusted with rice flour. Flour hands generously and divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log about 12-inch long. Place logs as far apart as possible on prepared cookie sheet. Flatten slightly to 1/2-inch thick and 2-inch wide.
- Lightly beat remaining egg white and brush onto logs.
- Bake logs for 20 minutes at 350°F (175°C) or until golden. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- Cut logs on slight diagonal into slices about 1-inch thick. Stand slices upright on cookie sheet. Return to oven and dry for 25 minutes. Cool.
Makes 36 biscotti.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe): Calories: 60; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 14g; Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 105mg; Potassium: 94mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.