Black and White Cookies
A vanilla and lemon-flavored cookie, half topped with chocolate frosting, and the other half with white frosting.
4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
White and Chocolate Frostings:
4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup boiling water
1 ounce semi sweet or bitter chocolate, melted
- For Cookies: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat at medium speed on an electric mixer the sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and extracts, until smooth. With a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just mixed.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet about 2-inches apart.
- Bake until edges are browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- For White and Chocolate Frostings: Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Gradually stir in just enough boiling water until its a thick spreadable mixture.
- Remove half the sugar mixture to another bowl. Stir the melted chocolate into one half, leaving the other half white.
- With a pastry brush, decorate each cookie half with white frosting, half with chocolate. Place frosted cookies on wire racks to dry completely before storing.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.