Black and White Cookies
This iconic cookie, which has been around for almost a century, has become a symbol of New York City as it is still found in just about every deli and many bake-shops there. Use of canola oil in the batter cuts the saturated fat. These cookies are traditionally jumbo-sized, but you can halve them to make 12 smaller cookies, just bake them a few minutes less. Recipe developed by Ellie Krieger, RD.
Canola oil cooking spray
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour*
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 to 4 teaspoons water
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 6 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray baking sheet with canola oil cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-grain flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In large mixing bowl, using whisk or hand blender, beat egg, canola oil and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow, then stir in vanilla.
- Mix about a third of flour mixture into egg mixture, then stir in half of buttermilk until combined. Stir in another third of flour mixture, then remaining buttermilk followed by remaining flour, stirring to combine with each addition.
- To make the jumbo cookies, dollop scant 1/4 cup mounds of batter onto baking sheet so each is about 3 inches in diameter. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie because they will spread. Bake until set and just golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on tray for 5 minutes, then use metal spatula to transfer to rack to cool completely before making icing.
- For Vanilla Icing: In small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice and 2 teaspoons water. Add remaining water 1 teaspoon at a time until icing is thick but spreadable. Spread icing on half of each cookie.
- For Chocolate Icing: In another small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in corn syrup, vanilla extract and 3 teaspoons water. Add remaining water 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring to combine, until icing is thick but spreadable. Ice other half of each cookie. Allow icing to set for 30 minutes. Store at room temperature in single layer. Do not stack until icing is hardened.
Makes 6 jumbo cookies or 12 smaller cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe; 1/2 jumbo cookie or 1 small cookie): Calories 200; Total Fat 7g; Saturated Fat 0.75g; Cholesterol 17mg; Sodium 110mg; Carbohydrates 33g; Fiber 1g; Protein 2.5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.