Brown Sugar Cookies
Using all brown sugar gives an old-time molasses flavor to these spicy raisin nut cookies. Almost any type of nut will work in these cookies—try toasted walnuts, pecans or almonds.
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl cream together brown sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and orange peel.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Mix into the sugar mixture then stir in raisins and nuts.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire rack.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.