Moist, chewy and chocolaty brownie cookies—the perfect cookie to pair with a tall glass of cold milk.
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar, water and vanilla. Beat in eggs.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda;
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until just until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 7 to 9 minutes; do not overbake.
- Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies.