Butter Horn Cookies
These delicate, beautiful cookies will make a delicious treat for special occasions. Or make the occasion special by serving them to your friends and family anytime.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
2 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup finely ground walnuts
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar - divided use
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl. Cut in butter to make coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, add yeast to warm water (105°F to 110°F); stir in egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla. Blend into flour mixture. Mix until soft dough forms. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in nuts and almond extract; set mixture aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide into 4 equal parts, refrigerating each part until ready to use. Roll each section into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface (or chilled marble board). Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Spread a heaping teaspoon of prepared meringue on each wedge. Roll up each wedge, beginning at wide end. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Sprinkle cookies with remaining powdered sugar when cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.