Candy Cane Cookies
Festive pepperment-flavored candy cane-shaped cookies with ground coconut in the dough.
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sweetened flake coconut, finely chopped in food processor or blender
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until blended. Beat in egg until fluffy. Reduce to low speed, gradually fold in flour just until blended.
- Divide the dough in half.
- In a small bowl, mix finely chopped coconut and vanilla; dip one-half dough in coconut until coated, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix in peppermint extract and red food coloring; dip remaining half. Chill for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Working with a small amount of each half dough at a time, roll into 1/4-inch ropes. Cut into 3-inch lengths and twist together. Bend over the top part to make a candy cane shape. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just golden on the bottom.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.