Carob Chip Cookies
These healthy, multi-grain cookies, flavored with maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon, are studded with carob chips and walnuts.
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup maple syrup
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened carob chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, cream butter. Slowly beat in syrup, egg and vanilla.
- Mix oats, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl, then stir into butter mixture on low speed. Stir in carob chips and walnuts by hand. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Press the mound lightly with back of spoon.
- Bake cookies for 7 to 10 minutes, until golden. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.