Shreds of carrot impart a moist chewiness beyond that of typical oatmeal cookies.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup firmly pack brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup peeled grated carrot
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine flour, whole wheat flour, powdered milk, baking powder, salt, baking soda, nutmet and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together molasses, brown sugar and shortening; beat in egg and vanilla until well incorporated. Carefully stir in dry ingredients; mix until well blended. Add oatmeal and carrots; mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.