Applesauce oatmeal cookies laced with shredded cheddar cheese. Perfect cookies to share on a cool autumn day with mugs of hot apple cider.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, unsalted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup prepared applesauce
3 cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and cheese. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture. Add the oatmeal and applesauce, stirring well.
- Drop small spoonfuls of batter onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.